I can't believe my oldest "baby" goes back to school next week... as a first grader! He's gotten pretty comfortable in his summer routine, so back-to-school will require a little mix-up to break him back into the school routine.
One way to mix up the routine is to mix up snack offerings. My sister recently inspired me to think outside of the bread by doing something different with peanut butter and jelly. We came up with this quick and easy, but creative mix-up: peanut butter and jelly "sushi!"
What you need:
- Tortillas (flour or whole wheat)
- Peanut butter
- Jelly (whatever flavor you prefer)
- Chocolate syrup (lite or sugar-free syrup works as well)
1. Spread peanut butter on half of a tortilla.
2. Spread jelly on the other half of the tortilla. I like the squeezable jelly personally - quicker with less mess.
3. Roll the tortilla, starting on the jelly side.
The peanut butter side makes a good seal for the roll.
4. Slice the roll into sushi-sized pieces.
5. Present on a plate with chocolate syrup as the "soy sauce" to dip.
A large tortilla version of these makes enough for both my boys to share as a bite-size snack. Pictured above is only about half of the sliced pieces from the single rolled tortilla.